Tuesday 27 December 2022

The Town Mill, Colyton, Devon



I came across this totally by accident when I went over to Colyton to take photos of the church in February 2009.The town of Colyton itself developed from an ancient village around 700AD, and eventually became known as 'the most rebellious town in Devon'  after the townsfolk joined the Monmouth Rebellion in 1685. Just wandering around the town gives a real sense of its history, with an original Saxon layout and many buildings of Mediaeval and Tudor origin. Even the humble fish and chip shop has gorgeous carved stone hood moulds with flowers for corbels and old wall lamps flanking the door!


I wasn't able to discover much about this mill but sources state that there was a corn mill and a sawmill in the town. On my former website article I'd guessed that this was the corn mill, as it's not far from the original bakery, and the other Mill has all the wheels and winches to drive the machinery more applicable to sawing. I've since recently seen reference to it being a grain mill, so that sounds right. 

Left empty for around 12 yrs at that time, I enjoyed taking photos of the somewhat derelict mill, although only of the exterior as I couldn't get into the site. I did manage to take some photos of the yard through the sides of the gate though.



I really like the front of the building with its flint rubble side containing the offices next to the white rendered building. The flint rubble section is the oldest part of the mill.



Some lovely details include the pattern-carved door with its brass plate bearing the inscription Town Mill. There are plans to save and use this unique door but that's as far as I know at the moment.


And another door leading into the courtyard...not quite so welcoming as the office one! ;)


A fabulous section, below, where the building joins with the wall surrounding the yard, showing the end of a beam with the brick and flint rubble.

Interestingly, I found some more information in 2021 and saw that the site was bought by Axminster Property, almost 30 years since it was left empty. It's now being developed into a small business area. There are 11 commercial units and the main building is currently being converted into smaller units for offices. Some businesses are now operating with more planning to move into the remaining spaces. A great idea and one which will help the town, business and work prospects to flourish in these uncertain times.



There doesn't appear to be any updates since the last information was available, so I don't know what's happened since then.

And to finish off with, here are some photos of the mill leat; the first one is looking back and the following three leading up to the Town Mill, where the waterwheel was once situated.



And there we go! I used a different film than usual for these as a friend had given me a batch of old Kodak stock that he no longer used. Kodak films tend to have a magenta cast anyway but this was also exaggerated by being a bit out of date, making them appear quite pastelly blue and pink. I rather like the subtle effect though, so it wasn't a problem, and money was tight at the time so I was grateful for it, lol.

I was looking to see if I had any more Urbex explores of derelict and abandoned buildings when I remembered this one. I think that's the last one but I'll go through my photos and documents when I've got a minute just to check. Plenty more of the historical places, interesting buildings and natural landscapes, but I've rewritten and posted up the bulk of those that were on my website now. I've started getting out and about again too so they'll be some more new stuff to publish. Cheers m'dears. :) 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment