Friday 16 December 2022

Builders' Buildings, Seaton, Devon


I took some photos of this building whilst having my 'designated walk' during the pandemic lockdown in 2020, when I went to look at some places on Harepath Hill. It was the old part of the brick wall that drew me but I also really like the rest of it too, so I took several photos.

It then occurred to me that I have a few photos of another builder's building and it might make a nice article to include both, eventually taking more photos of that one too. I deliberately didn't put the names of the builders in the title as I didn't want to waste the time of anyone who's trying to contact the companies involved. And, as there are two, it would make a rather unwieldy title! ;)

This first one belongs to R W Dack & Sons. I haven't been able to find out much about it but I did visit again and was told by the lady living in the house attached that it once belonged to Crichard's Builders many years ago. I also looked on an old OS Map, which was surveyed in 1887, and the buildings are there, although the larger front left oldest looking part wasn't there then. My conjecture - and please don't quote me on this as it's only guesswork - is that the larger building to the left was built not too long after the map was drawn and although the others should look older they aren't quite in the same alignment as the map, therefore may have been rebuilt later.



It's really interesting seeing where areas have been patched up and new parts of the building have been added or replaced. The modern additions include some wrought iron railings, which look fabulous against the old brick and in no way detracts by its modern design.



The metal X's and S's are old anchor plates. They are part of reinforcements used to strengthen walls with rods to prevent the bricks bulging out; the shapes we see are the decorative part that the rods are attached to. When I was a child I was told that they were lightning conductors. I had no reason to think otherwise until recent years when I checked it out properly - just in case! - which is a good job I did. ;)

The second building belongs to H J Anning & Sons, who are now operating in Colyton. It's part of a building on Manor Road which also contains the local veterinary. The builders own the side which looks more like an added lean-to, whereas the vet owns the larger side.


I first took these close-ups of the doors and windows with the lovely decorative panes of glass on a walk several years ago, along with the one above...the window of which has since been replaced. The rest of the photos were taken more recently for this article.



I know even less about this building but looking on the same old map of 1887 it shows the building exactly as it is now, and was probably originally built that way, although there's no indication of what it was used for.



Their side of the building showing the flint rubble on that side wall. The frontage has been rendered and pebble-dashed.


And here is what the rest of the building looks like from the vet's side.




I've also added a Google Earth image to show what it looks like now from above; the same as the early map. Interestingly, the road was named Harner's Road at that time. Manor Terrace was already built then, the name taken from them for the road sometime later.

Just a short article this time. A respite from all those long ones I've been working on, lol. There are still plenty more to do though - which should keep me out of mischief! - and Christmas is almost upon us so there'll be plenty for me to do over the season. :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment