Friday 9 December 2022

Odds & Ends: Part Two



As explained in Part One - just in case you haven't seen that one yet - I have a lot of single or a few images of odds and ends seen on my travels. Some which have nowhere else to go and some which I don't have enough photos and information about to warrant a separate article, so I decided to put them all on one or two Odds & Ends posts.

These two photos of Colyton Methodist Church were taken on a walk around the town. I thought I might go back for more photos, but never managed to, so I'll add them here. Like some others in the Odds & Ends sections if I do go back I'll write up a proper article. Built in 1814, it's a Grade II Listed Building and only recently closed as a church, now for sale as a residential building.


This is a bit of a weird one; a road sign. I'd noticed that some other signs nearby had been replaced by somewhat boring plastic ones so I decided to take a photo of this old metal one as a piece of history. I'm glad I did as it was soon changed too. A rather nice, but odd example of Past Remains, lol.

I took these two photos of a seafront barometer on Christmas day 2010, when we had snow and I enjoyed a morning walk around Seaton before my roast lunch. With a bright, winter sun the brick housing really stood out in startling orange. The barometer itself is no longer inside, and is now in Seaton Museum.

I'd really like to write up a proper article but I keep forgetting to take more photos. Maybe this year...possibly on Christmas day if the weather is nice. :)


Some 14 years ago a friend became interested in old letterboxes and began putting photos of them on his website. I thought that was quite interesting and so I started taking photos myself when I came across them. As it happened my enthusiasm soon waned as other interests took over, and I only have these three photos to show for it.

The first letterbox was taken outside the Post Office in Colyford and the one above was in Topsham. The Topsham one has the initials GR in curlicule writing with the numeral VII, signifying King George the seventh. The Colyford one also has GR on in plain type but with no numerals, but I think it must be the same monarch.


This next one was the first Autumn Fair in Branscombe. Held in 2015, I went with two friends and took a few photos, as well as sampling some lovely fayre; freshly squeezed apple juice and home made quiche.

We also bought some home grown veggies along with bunches of pretty cottage garden flowers. And there was a band playing Irish music, which added to a great atmosphere.



There were alpacas in an ad hoc enclosure and several stands with crafts of all kinds. I only took these six photos altogether though, but couldn't miss the tractors on display in a field.


This next photo is one of many that I took whilst at the Devon Training Camp on Dartmoor in 1991. It was a week of activities, and something which I'll be writing about in a separate blog post. However, this is a one-off of the winch remains at the old quarry at the base of Haytor rocks.


Our group had made a raft and were using it to ferry everyone across the pond. The above scene can be seen on some of those photos but this was the only one which I took of just the quarry remains. If I'd have known then, I could have walked a short distance to see an old trackway for the carts that took the quarried stone away.


And staying with Dartmoor - albeit some 10 years or so later - I took just this one photo of Dartmoor Prison gate looking suitably disquieting in the mist. Some friends had invited me on a day out driving to various places on Dartmoor and this was one of them, where we visited the museum.

I came across this little courtyard between two buildings whilst walking around Axminster one day. I was a bit intrigued about its quirkiness so took these three photos.



And to finish off with, we're back to Colyton with just this one photo of a house that used to be a pub, seen on a guided town walk. Called The Bull (if memory serves), the frieze on the front of the building contains images of bulls - or their heads - I don't remember which as this was a while ago and I hadn't written anything down. Sadly, I don't have any other photos, so no close-up of the frieze. One of those that I meant to revisit! 

EDIT: I've just had information in the comments below that it was called The Bear.  Grateful thanks to the person who left the comment. :)


And there we have it!  Since writing Part One, I've added a goodly amount of others to my list. So many, that I think we're going to need a bigger boat, lol. Probably several more parts if I keep adding to my list, so I'll be adding those anon. Cheers. :)

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I remember it as the Boars Head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and information. It's much appreciated and I'll edit that in the article. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies, it was not the Boar but Bear as it is called as a house today. Love this site and your photos as you seem to capture the atmosphere that so many photographers miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for that and for your nice comments. I still use film photography, which I think captures a realism that digital doesn't always have, and which I also find a lot easier to use. :)

      Delete