Wednesday 28 December 2022

Seaways, Seaton, Devon - Part One


 

At the end of the previous article I said that I'd have a look to see if I have any more Urbex (Urban Explores of derelict and abandoned buildings) articles to include. I don't, unfortunately, but I do have this odd one that I came across whilst on a walk a few years ago. On investigation it turned out to be just an empty house; probably inbetween being sold and the new owners moving in. However, it did give me the opportunity to have a good look at it. :)



I wasn't able to discover anything about it, not even on estate agents websites, so I'll just have to do my usual ramble about the architecture and what I found. It did turn out to be really nice though, and if I had the money and wanted to buy a house this would definitely be in the running.


Shrouded by lovely tall trees, the path from the gate led into a delightful 'secret garden'.



The house itself turned out to be quite unusual with two extended gable sections at each corner of the south-facing front, rather than at each end. It's possibly an Arts and Crafts design from the 1930s, as opposed to the earlier movement in the 1890s.


The frontage is in keeping with that date, with its deep, low porch and wide door with windows to each side. It looks fabulous with the shrubs and creepers surrounding the porch and the spring flowers in the garden.



And that's all I can say about it. I haven't been back to have another look, even though it's not too far from my home. It's on a ridge of hills which used to be covered in trees, the ones of this house having been cleared away a short while after my visit...and gradually more trees along the ridge have been chopped down. It's heart-breaking to see, especially when we need trees and gardens more than ever for the amount of wildlife they support and the disappearance of many of our woods and forests. If I went back and saw an effing gravel garden I'd be extremely angry, lol.

Anyway, here are two more photos of the little garden lawn containing old garden furniture.


EDIT: I had another concerted search for further information today - the first day of the year 2023 - and came across a photo pretty similar to this one of mine, below.


It was taken from an article dated 18/2/22 in a local newspaper about a proposal for houses to be built on a site next door to Townsend Medical Centre - the building already on the site being dilapidated and earmarked for demolition. I remember seeing the article at the time but it didn't click that it's the same property as Seaways. I'd thought that Seaways was a lot further up, which it actually is because a google aerial view included in the article showed a much larger tract of land uncovered by the felling of the trees. 

I've included a google view below, where the shape of the house can be seen in the top left hand corner of the bare piece of land on the left. The building on the right of that is the medical centre.


So, no gravel garden then, lol. It's unfortunate that the news is much worse. I don't have time today but I will have a walk up there as soon as the weather's not so wet and possibly take more photos, which I'll add to this article. The house is still there as I can see it from my kitchen window. It'll be sad to see it go.

Happy new year everyone. :)

Another EDIT: I did go and have a look, on the 2nd of January, and there was a lot more to see now that the trees have gone. No access onto the site, due to Herras fencing, but I did take a fair few photos from the periphery. As a film photographer I'll need to finish the current film and get it processed before I can scan and add them. However, I might do a Part Two as there's more info to add too. Yay! ;)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment