Sunday 29 January 2017

Axe Valley WW2 Defences - Taunton Stop Line, Devon (Part Three)



Following on from Part Two, and continuing across the A3025 road near to the Axe Bridge, is this totally delightful Type 22 with block shuttering. This is probably my favourite pillbox to date as it was the very first one that I was able to access inside...and at the risk of sounding a bit girly, it's just so incredibly adorable!


I've visited this one several times and during one summer there were Swallows nesting inside, flitting in and out to feed their young. Interior below.


The next one along is a Type 24, also with block shuttering, situated in the field beyond. Access wasn't possible due to a fence and stream alongside it. However, the subsequent pillboxes along that route will have to be approached from the other side, and if I manage to start up my pillbox hunt again I may be able to look inside then.




Part three only contains tiny bits of this section so far as it covers a large area and there are a fair few to visit, but I thought I'd make a start and add to it when able. For now this section includes the first two pillboxes at the beginning, two at Whitford and one at Axminster. Anyone who's ever been pillbox exploring will know how arduous and time-consuming it can be. Having disabilities and unable to walk as far as I used to, plus not being able to drive, makes this section somewhat difficult for me to attempt. But I'll do my best!

The next section I visited were the two just outside the village of Whitford, below.



A Type 22 with an added concrete blast wall ante-room. Very overgrown, it was totally dark inside and impossible to get any interior photos, apart from the blast area.


The next one along in Whitford is another T24, also with an added blast wall ante-room.


I visited these during February 2010, just after major flooding. There were extra streams running around this pillbox, almost creating an island, and the interior was full of mud, much of which was also splashed up on the walls. As is often the case, I went home dragging half a field with me!



The interior (above) was very dark and forbidding. Pillboxes aren't something that worry me when exploring, but I actually felt a bit spooked in this one. Below is the view from it, with the river Coly in full spate.



This next one is the final one of this section so far. I took the photos in 2008.


Another 6pdr Anti-Tank emplacement, situated near to the bridge just west of Axminster, where there is also an Anti-Tank Block. The block can be seen through the emplacement in the photo above.

Somewhat different weather when I visited this one!



Below is this funky looking bridge over a path leading to a track across the railway line. I have no idea if it's anything to do with the defences, but I really like it, so I included it anyway. Nearby was a large concrete block, which may have been another Anti-Tank block. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of it, but will check it out properly if I make another visit.



And that concludes the final part so far. Thanks for joining me on my adventure and if you have any questions or comments please leave them below. :)




2 comments:

  1. I moved to Axminster in 2017 and became intrigued buy the many pill boxes around the area. My wife and I attended an evening lecture about the Taunton stop line at the Heritage centre in Axminster in 2018, and I have just finished reading a book The West Country’s Last Line of Defence. I must say I enjoyed reading your blog and I can’t imagine how much work you put into this. I just want to say well done and thank you for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comments, Keith. It's a fascinating subject, isn't it. I shall have to look out for that book as it sounds very interesting and hopefully I'll do some more exploring this year if able to walk better again.
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete