Tuesday 20 February 2024

Beach Court, Beer, Devon

 


I only have a small amount of information but I do have a lot of photographs of this lovely building. Because of that I decided to give it its own article and will link it to the Fore Street Buildings once I've written that up.

Built in 1903, it was originally called Beach House Hotel and has since been converted into flats. The only other information I found about it is from the Beer Design Statement, which said that it's noted for its spiky gables. I thought we might be able to do better than that so I looked in Pevsner and found the following description: 'Beach House,1903, brasher, with spiky corner gable'. 

So much for that! ;)

I looked that up and although it appears to be an actual architectural term - similar to spiky roofs - I can't find the exact meaning for it. However, in context it does seem to describe gables that are tall, slender and therefore spiky.

On the road side there are two large windows on the ground floor. It looks rather like a shop window, but I don't know if it ever was.


Both those windows, the doors and other windows to the left of the corner door have lovely Tudor style mouldings above them. These correspond with the material of the quoins and window surrounds of Beer Stone from the quarry above the village. There are also diamond paned windows throughout.

The door next to the large windows belongs to Beach Cottage, seen below in its lovely deep porch, which is now a separate residence or holiday let.

 

The style fits in nicely with the other Arts & Crafts architecture along the street, many of which were built in the late Victorian and early Edwardian years. Some were designed by the architect David Carr, who lived in Beer and worked for the Clinton Devon Estates who own the Beer and Clinton Estates in East Devon. I can't corroborate this, but because everything does fit together well I did wonder if he designed much more than was attributed to him. Or at least his design styles influenced other architects.


As seen in the above photo, the next building adjoins onto Beach Cottage. The style is of a similar vein, and both are built in flint rubble as are several buildings in Fore Street. I don't think this was part of the hotel but it does show how many of the new buildings at that time were consistent with each other.

To the left of the central corner door there is a little side street by a small car park. I did read a few weeks ago that the delightful tree is going to be chopped down in order to make more room for cars, and that despite opposition a town councillor decided that cars are more important than the environment! I think you might know how I feel about that...


...and why not have the car park for disabled drivers and leave everyone else to have a nice stroll down the street. That way they can enjoy the ambience and also be passing trade for the shops and cafes. Win win, especially for the tree! :)

 

Some differences in the door and downstairs window directly on the left of the corner entrance, above. Then back to the same Tudor style for the others, seen below on the left, which adds to the interest.



And that's about it for this one. I will be going back soonish for a few more buildings on Fore Street, as well as other places in Beer, when I should be able to finish the street article.

I must admit I rushed this one but if I did miss anything out - or discover more information - I'll add it later...as well as correcting any mistakes or iffy grammar!

Next up might be Sidbury church, which was in my late website, and which I'll be extending and rewriting for the blog. I'm trying to do better this year! ;)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment