Friday 1 March 2024

4 to 6, Marine Parade, Lyme Regis, Dorset

 


Although I'll be writing an article about the whole of Marine Parade and its buildings, there are some stand alone buildings that have more photos and information than others - or I just like them more - and that deserve a page of their own.

I already have posts for two other buildings on Marine Parade, which can be seen on these links Sundial House & Library Cottage, but they'll all be included on the street article, albeit as shorter items. Marine Parade is quite long with a lot of interesting buildings on it so I'll have to make it fairly succinct.


Anyway, this one is really rather fabulous. I wish I had more photos to be honest but I missed it out when I went to Lyme last year because I thought I already had enough. 

It's a Grade II Listed building that was built circa 1840. Originally three cottages, which comprised the centre two storeys of the building, another modern storey was added above and later 19th century wings were added at either end.


The left wing, above left, showing the top oriel window with trellised window below, and the gated entrance at ground floor on the right photo. Both windows are such a delight but the trellised one is really lovely with its delicate decoration and Moorish feel to it.

And the right wing photos below.


The ground floor entrances lead through segmental headed arches, where stairs for the upper storeys can be accessed.

There are so many delightful details. The top two storeys of the centre and the top storey of the wings are decorated with hung tiles and, as can be seen below, a central trellised iron porch creating a verandah between the wings.


Altogether a lovely and interesting building, with more details than I have photos for. This building, Library Cottage, Sundial House, Argyll House and other cottages (from Nos 4 to 12 altogether) form a Listed Building group.

Just a short one but I really wanted to highlight this. I'm also working on some former website articles - the last few! - and there's a reason I left them until last, either because I'm not very happy with the photos, don't have enough photos or lost interest in the subject...or all of the above! So, writing about something I love gives me a respite from those stragglers, lol. 

Plenty more new stuff though and I'm planning some other visits hopefully this year. 

Cheers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment