Saturday 10 February 2024

Jurassic Adventure Golf Course, Seafield Gardens, Seaton, Devon

 


This is something I've often seen from a distance when walking past the gardens and I decided to take a proper look at it and take some photos. It was the day after visiting Beer Village in April last year and I wanted to finish off the films to get them in the post to the printers; a perfect time to look at something a bit different.

Opened on April 7th 2017, the idea came about from the Seaton Town Council after consultations from residents and various organisations. It was implemented by East Devon Council and Streetscene, creating this fabulous mini golf course with a Jurassic theme.

Bones grace the 'prehistoric signpost' below.

The golf course takes its name from the UNESCO World Heritage Site; the Jurassic Coast, which runs from Orcombe Point in Exmouth, East Devon, to Old Harry Rocks in Dorset, displaying a progressive geological sequence of 185 million years, including the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods along its stretch. Seaton is roughly at the transition between Triassic and Jurassic rock formations.


It was on this coastline that the icthyosaur fossil was discovered in Lyme Regis by Mary Anning. Appropriately enough, really large dinosaur bones grace the golf course. :)


Beautifully landscaped with some fabulous decorations, including hatching dinosaur eggs! And another one below.


A stone age man squats on the path, making a space for the golfball to run between his legs. Of course, we know that humans didn't exist at the same time as dinosaurs - unless the Jurassic Park films come true! - but it's a rather nice touch anyway.


The landscaping also provides boxes for bees and other insects with specific planting to help feed them. Plenty of palm trees are included too. Although not originally native here we have had palms and other exotic plants in the south-west for some centuries now, due to those intrepid travellers who brought back seeds and specimens; the temperate climate ideal for them to thrive.

 

As it was early spring when I took the photos there were only a few plants in flower. Something I'll have to check out in the summer. It was absolutely freezing on that day too, with a very cold, cutting east wind. It was still an enjoyable wander around though.

A rather imperious looking vulture sits on top of the gateway at the start of the course, and looking through from the other side, below.


And to finish off with, two more photos taken from the path running along the edge of Seafield Gardens, showing the golf course in the distance, and with the information board in the second one.

 

Just a short article this time - an especial respite after my last one, which took forever to do - but I thought this was rather interesting and fun. I'd planned on creating one for Seafield Gardens anyway, in which I'll include a shortened version of this along with the other aspects when I do. 

I still haven't scanned my photos from my birthday visit to Seaton Wetlands in January yet, but that's something I'm looking forward to doing once I've got enough time. So hopefully that'll be my next article, although I am working on some others too. 

I'm hedging my bets! 

Cheers. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment