Monday 25 May 2020

Fortfield Hotel, Sidmouth, Devon



I knew nothing about this building until I saw a report in the local newspaper in January 2011. Apparently, it had been derelict for some time until subjected to an arson attack at the end of December 2010. I wasn't going to have a look at it as even though I love seeing derelict buildings, I'm not a fan of trashed, burnt-out places. However, I decided to check it out when I happened to be in Sidmouth two months later.


There aren't any interior photos or any good close-ups, as it's far too overlooked by a lot of residential houses, as well as being obviously very dangerous in its current condition. However, I was unexpectedly surprised at its appearance. It must have been a lovely building and was once considered to be an iconic building in Sidmouth.

The above photos are taken at the main entrance on Station Road.



My intial reccee, however, was from the cricket ground where what's left of the building can be seen across the green. Much of it had already been demolished following the fire.  
 




The steps leading up to what once was the grounds and the front of the hotel. 



Below, looking at bit like Bates Motel! ;)


And from the main entrance side, below, after negotiations with a vigilant neighbour. He told me that it was due for demolition within the next couple of months and will be subsequently rebuilt. Apparently, the owners couldn't afford to update the existing building, which led to it being left unused and derelict.




As it happens, after demolition a completely different kind of new building was erected; Sanditon Apartments. I wonder if it was called that in honour of Jane Austen's book of the same name (which was unfinished at her death), in which the town of Sanditon is thought to have been styled upon Sidmouth. 


The new building looks quite nice in the photos I've seen online, but nowhere near as lovely as Fortfield Hotel was in its heyday. But I'm really pleased that I managed to see at least some of its beauty in the last of its remains. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment