Friday 19 July 2019

Old Meeting Unitarian Chapel, Sidmouth, Devon



This delightful building has caught my attention on more than one occasion whilst travelling into Sidmouth on the bus. One day the bus stopped for other passengers to alight, so I took the opportunity to get off too to take a closer look. 



The photo below shows the wonderfully 'gingerbread cottage' ornate bargeboards on the gable and porch. There are several Cottage Orne buildings in Sidmouth, indicative of the seaside fashion of the time.
 

This Grade II building is the oldest non-conformist chapel in Sidmouth. It was first established in 1710 and largely rebuilt mid to late 19th century, hence the Cottage Orne style, which is quite different to the adjoining building to the right of it. I'm not sure whether this building was originally part of the chapel, as the British Listed Buildings entry only mentions the building to the left.
 



Some more photos of the adjoining building taken on a different day with some close-up details.





Although most churches are open during the day, I have found that chapels usually aren't, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the door open. I went in and began to take photos when a workman entered. I think he was more surprised than me, as it wasn't supposed to be open to the public. However, he kindly allowed me to continue taking photos and having a look around.  
 

The pulpit with large sounding board is 18th century. A very simple interior with just one stained glass window.


Whilst researching the building, I came across some quotes from various Unitarian churches in the area, which I'll copy below...

"The church is founded in the Christian tradition but encourages freedom of individual thought and belief.  It demands no allegiance to any particular creed or dogma but respects freedom of conscience."

 


"It is a Church which recognises the deeply personal nature of belief.  It holds that, while no one knows what God is, this need not commit us to a secular society. Also, that there are many sources of truth and that belief may change over time." 


As a pagan, I wholehearted agree with those statements as to me it seems peculiar to say that only one spiritual path is correct and all the rest are false. And even though I have a different belief, I find solace, mystique and the power of prayer just as much in a Christian church as I do in ancient, prehistoric places.


Here endeth the lesson! ;)


The gallery front containing the organ is 18th century and the clock is dated 1767.

 


Thanks again to the gentleman who was working here, and who allowed me access to the hall next door...photo below.


The east gable, below, contains a blind octagonal light above two lights with thin tracery and rope drip moulds above them.

 

And finally, looking through the fence to the rear of the building.












No comments:

Post a Comment