Wednesday 31 July 2019

Rodney Rendell Farm Services, Axminster, Devon



I first saw this abandoned factory whilst a passenger in a friend's car back in 2008, and didn't think much about it at the time as I had lots of other places on my explore list...then consequently forgot all about it. I was reminded of it from an article in the local newspaper (a call to have it demolished) and, having failed to do what I wanted in Axminster, I decided to walk the half mile or so to Weycroft to take a look. Visited in early September 2011.

 

Rodney Rendell's was a steel fabricator & erector and engineering services firm. It took me a while to discover what they manufactured, but then I came across this piece on Dairy Spares company's website...

"Dairy Spares has purchased the Weycroft Macford™ milking machine genuine parts as of 8th May 2006. These are a well established product range in the UK, having been sold here since 1948 and Dairy Spares will continue to supply the full range through their distribution network in the UK. The previous owners Rodney and Mary Rendell have retired and we wish them all the best."

From which can be seen that Rendell's produced milking machine parts and also closed in 2006, the factory having been left for some five years.



No Admittance!    

Well, the door was open so it would be rude not to take up the invitation! ;)


  
It's fairly stripped out but, as always in old factories, there's some great lighting from the roof sky lights. A little bit trashed but not as bad as many that have been left abandoned for so long.



Below, a small winch, which I think was part of the mechanism for opening the steel doors.  

 


The only machinery left in situ is this one. I thought it might have been a kind of lathe but I've been reliably informed by someone on the Derelict Places forum that it's a radial arm drill.
 


A small separate workshop,
just off from the main factory floor.
 

 And a great looking work bench and shelf system inside.


I didn't manage to see everything, and a few of the photos turned out too blurry to use. I always intended to go back again, but alas left it too late as it has since been demolished.


All in all, a nice wanderable visit. I only had half an hour before another bus to the next venue, but it wasn't wasted as there was more to it than I expected, even though the factory's fairly stripped out. It would have been really relaxed, but as I wound my first film back too quickly it snapped in the camera and I lost half of it. So, once I'd loaded another film I had to rush around to take shots of everything again before catching the bus. That'll teach me to be too hasty! ;)
















No comments:

Post a Comment