Sunday 15 October 2017

St Peter's Ipsley Church, Redditch, Worcs



Whilst sorting through a box file full of old negatives I came across some of these photos, which was a surprise as I thought I only had one of this lovely old church. This was my parish church during my formative years and, belonging to a church-going family, it was here that I was baptised, became confirmed, sang in the church choir and also later became a sunday school teacher, although I'm no longer a Christian. This takes me back a bit as I've since lived in Devon for most of my adult life, but I'm very glad to be able to add photos and some personal history to a place that has changed a lot in the meantime.

The photos were taken sometime during 1966.  Fortunately other events were recorded on the same set of negatives, which made them easy to date.



Situated on a hill overlooking the Arrow valley, St Peter's was quite isolated apart from Ipsley Court Farm and the nearby former Rectory. The present building was built during the 14th century, although there may have been an earlier Saxon church there according to mention of a presiding priest in the Domesday Book. Constructed with red sandstone in the decorated style, it comprises a western tower, nave and chancel. Originally including a south and north aisle, these were taken down during the 19th century when extensive refurbishment took place. The turreted Bell Tower has a modern gantry of six bells which are rung mainly at weddings.


Interesting original features include a 14th century septagonal font, lectern with brass eagle, a Jacobean pulpit and alabaster slabs containing effigies of the Hubaud family of Ipsley Court, which are situated to the north of the altar. Unfortunately, I don't have any interior photos.



The south entrance consists of double oak doors studded with iron. A wonderfully quirky wrought iron archway is still in situ, according to recent pics that I've seen whilst researching online...once used to house a lamp above the lychgate.



As well as services at the church on sundays, I remember that we used to go to the annual church fete at the old rectory. A local lady used a pony and trap to transport those who didn't own a car - and as this was the 1950s quite a lot of people didn't, including us - which was rather wonderful. In the grounds of the rectory there was a light gauge railway giving rides for us children, a pig roast, as well as the usual tombola, bran tub and other stalls. The grounds were quite extensive and I remember a long, duck weed filled pond of still, dark water, which used to give me the willies!


Checking out recent developments, I see that there is now a church hall built to the north of the church. If I remember rightly our next door neighbour, Mrs White, was buried there behind the church. She and her sons lived next door to us all the time I grew up and they came from Devon, so I was quite used to the Devon accent and me and my sisters being called 'the little maids'. Who'd have known that I'd end up living here! 

And finally, a gorgeous old yew tree - yews being one of the oldest living trees - and which I'm really pleased to see is still there according to recent photos that I've seen online. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment