Friday 13 October 2017

King's Arms, Ottery St Mary, Devon



This was a nice little find (of several), when I had the opportunity to have a brief wander around Ottery St Mary whilst visiting with a friend. I only had half an hour to spare, but that was sufficient to find and photograph three fab buildings near to St Mary's church. I even managed a quick visit inside the church, which I'd already photographed five years before, but it's amazing how memory can play tricks and I did a lot of  'I don't remember this bit', resulting in a few more photos there too.


Not surprisingly, when I did the research later I found that the Kings Arms is situated in an area where several listed buildings form a group. A Grade II listed building, the Kings Arms was built in 1756, and was originally a posting house where horses were fed and changed, and travellers could get a meal or stay overnight inbetween the stages of their journey. The name refers to the Royal Arms of Charles II.


A three storey building, the ground floor exterior is stuccoed, and the floors above are of lime-washed brick. The central front projection includes the ground floor front entrance, which has been narrowed to a more modern width, and is where the original coach doors were situated (see the first photo on the page for clearer details).  Below the open pediment, on the top gable, there is a delightful roundel window.


I love the floor bands between the top two storeys, and are rather striking I think.  Other details include the centre window with eared architrave, and dentil pediment on the front projection.


I didn't have time to go inside so I don't have any interior photos. It would be nice to go back and have a proper mooch, plus a drink there...it would be rude not to! ;) 

Unfortunately, I don't drive and Ottery St Mary is more or less off the bus route from where I live. It can be done, but it entails bus changes with waiting inbetween and serious co-ordination to ensure getting back home again without getting stuck and having to sleep under a hedge. I could have done it a few years ago, and possibly walked most of the way too, but a long-term illness has left me a bit anxious as well as not able to walk as much as I used to. However, I recently managed a bus ride for the first time in about 3 or 4 yrs, and am gradually getting back out on walks and explores again...so you never know! :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment