Wednesday 22 June 2022

Eyre Court Terrace, Seaton, Devon



This is a rather lovely Edwardian terrace comprising three houses, built in 1904 at a time when many new buildings in Seaton were erected to celebrate the new century. These include Manor Cottages, the Town Hall, the Trevelyan Road Arts & Crafts houses and the Gothic Revival houses on Manor Road.

 

The three front gables bear plaques, the first AD, the second WJT and the third 1904. WJT stands for Walter John Trevelyan - the then Lord of the Manor - who also built Manor Cottages.



As well as the Arts and Crafts houses of the period there were also revivalist styles, including Classical styles, which were once again fashionable. This was especially so in the early Edwardian time, continuing to draw on changes during the late Victorian styles.


This revival of 18th century Neo-Georgian styles began to appear. More slim-lined than the Victorian Revivalist terrace, this one has very shallow bays without side windows. The doors are recessed inside entryways with pilasters to each side of the entrance and broken segmental pediments above. Although, the third one has lost the ball from its finial.

The first set of photos were taken in January 2012 but I took another set more recently in February of last year. Unfortunately, I didn't realise at the time that my camera was on the blink, affecting the light and focussing settings, so they came out a little odd and blurred. Mind, I really like the colours, and I managed to edit the blurring a bit, so Ive added the best of those where necessary. They're the sunny ones.

 

The odd thing is, when taking the latest photos I didn't realise that the first house had painted the pediment black, which makes it look a little strange...although not strange enough for me to notice at the time. So much for being observant! ;)

Now completely residential, one or two have also been inhabited by at least two solicitor's legal practices in the past. One was still there when I took the first set of photos, but has since moved elsewhere in Seaton, whereas the other one moved to other Seaton premises some twenty odd years ago now.

The first house has delightful stained glass panels on the ground and first floor windows. I'm not sure if the windows themselves have been worked on or if they've been made separately then hung up in the windows, but I was really pleased to see that they're still there.

That's just one of several Edwardian buildings in Seaton that I really like and took photos of. I think it's my favourite period of architecture as I find the variety - and quality of the variety - to be extremely interesting. More to come anon. 

And slightly belated, I'd like to wish everyone a fabulous Summer Solstice. Although it was officially the solstice yesterday, we have the same length of day for today and tomorrow as well. So I hope you enjoy! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment