Sunday 6 February 2022

Corrugated Bungalows, Seaton, Devon

 

In late September 2020 I had a walk up from Seaton to the junction with the main A3052 road to take some photos at the bottom of Harepath Hill. I particularly wanted to photograph this bungalow with its lovely, red corrugated roof, and I also took photos of Harepath Farm and the Long House whilst there.

Unfortunately, the red roof has faded to a rather light pink, lol. However, it's still a lovely bungalow and I really like the fact that the whole building was made from corrugated iron too, and is still intact.

 


A bit difficult to take photos close to as the walls & fences are quite high and elevated on a steep bank just here, which made it awkward for getting details. It was better seen from across the road, below. Interestingly, it looks as though there has been an addition to the roof on the front, forming a shelter over the door & windows, as can be seen by the new, shiny and unpainted metal.
 

I wasn't sure from the times I've seen it whilst going past on the bus, but on closer inspection I could see that the bungalow next door is also partially made from corrugated iron. Both of them also have lovely carved barge boards above the gable ends.


I have no idea when these were built or any kind of information about them, but corrugated bungalows - along with other types of pre-fabricated houses - were built en masse after World War Two, as an emergency measure for much needed housing. Many have now been demolished but thankfully some have survived and are still lived in. I don't know about these two, but they are only two as opposed to the whole estates that were built. However, having said that, I noticed on some of the photos that parts of other similar buildings can be seen behind these, although there appears to be no road access. I think that deserves another reccee!


And finally, another view of them taken near the junction to finish off with.

  

Another short article. I have quite a few of these, especially in and around Seaton. I really didn't want to post up a load of Seaton ones all at the same time but I'm tempted to do that because I've got a lot going on, and don't have time to work on longer articles at the moment. Anyway, I hope to get back into it more fully after a few, and thank you for your patience. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment