Thursday 28 November 2019

Sudbrook Paper Mill, Newport, South Wales



This is going to be a rather short article because I've only got two photos and not much information to go with them. However, it was the fourth explore at the urbex meet-up in South Wales, February 2008 (see last three posts for the others), so it gives me the opportunity to add it to my blog...something which I didn't do on my now defunct website.

The paper mill was built in 1958, taking advantage of the water available from the nearby Severn Tunnel pumping station. Interestingly, its main product was a specific kind of card casing, produced from wood pulp and recycled paper, turning out a yearly amount of 150,000 tonnes. Closed in May 2006, the factory was eventually demolished in 2009.
 


It was on the saturday night, and wasn't much more than a reccee around the site rather than a proper explore. Although the works were closed down by then there was still security there, so we had to be pretty stealthy and nifty as we negotiated our way around. I loved the lit-up areas of pipes and tanks, which reminded me of a pottery in Stoke-on-Trent, where I lived for a while in 1973, and where one bus route ran through the site and looked pretty much like this at night. Magical stuff! :)

Some more coming up soon, covering the explores on the sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment