Tuesday 29 May 2018

Greengates, Charmouth, Dorset



I was walking around Charmouth one day in September 2009 when I came across this house. Although it looked a bit derelict, there was a 'for sale' sign in the front, and the only thing I discovered was its sale on various estate agent sites. I did find mention of an area called Greengates on maps of Charmouth's historic areas, but there was nothing about the house specifically.

I rather liked the building - one side of a semi-detached house - both for its architecture and for the feeling of neglect, so I had a meander up the drive and took these few photos of it whilst I was there.  

On one estate agent website, there was mention that it had been built in the early part of the 19th century, but I did wonder if maybe someone had noted the year on the joke plaque and had taken it literally!


On the other hand, it may have been built during the Edwardian period at the beginning of the 20th century, and influenced by the Arts & Crafts movement.  Notably the front veranda with balcony above, plus the wide door entrance, with another balcony above that. The windows are of the Edwardian style, and it looks as though new frames were fitted some time later. The original, small windows may have contained leaded stained glass. But please don't quote me on the dating, as I'm by no means any expert, and may have got it wrong.


I had occasion to walk past Greengates almost two years later. It had been sold by then and delightfully redecorated in similar colours to the original ones. 

Just a short article with only a little information but it was one of those buildings that caught my eye. :)


 



No comments:

Post a Comment