Sunday 16 April 2017

Cement Crushing Mill & Lime Kiln, Charmouth, Dorset



On a trip to Charmouth a few years ago (to the dentist!) I had time for a meander down to the beach before catching my bus back home, and I came across the Heritage Centre. As it was out of season the centre was closed but I was intrigued about the building itself, which looks distinctly old industrial.


Fabulous door and window shutters along the side.



I later found out that it was once a cement crushing mill and lime kiln. Built during the 1850's, the venture sadly failed and the Old Cement Factory, as it was known locally, soon fell into disrepair. It now houses a beach cafe and a fossil shop on the ground floor, as well as the Heritage Centre, which takes up the top floor.

 
 

Part of the lime kiln can be seen at the back of the building (photos above). Lime was an important commodity, used as a fertiliser by farmers, as well as for cement making. Easier to transport by boat, and also an area for limestone quarrying, many old lime kilns can be seen along the West Dorset and East Devon coast.
 

The front of the building (above), showing the portico with steps leading upstairs, which was added during restoration. The rear of the building (below) shows more clearly the flint & rubble fabric, which is a building material local to this part of the coast.


 
On a little wander behind the lime kiln I found this anchor...


...and finally, a view of the beach during my visit. 


I don't get to Charmouth much these days as the bus routes have changed, plus I now have a dentist much nearer to home. But, I have got some more interesting things from previous visits to Charmouth, which I'll be posting up soon. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment