Monday 23 September 2024

Various Buildings, Honiton, Devon

 

 

Some 34 years ago I use to swim at the local pool in Honiton most weeks for about 6 years, and on this particular day I had a wander around town with my camera afterwards. Shot on b&w film, I took pictures of whatever took my fancy, which happened to be mostly architecture - architectural photographer in the making! - along with some of these lovely pine trees against the Honiton skyline.


Out of the buildings I only managed to find three on the British Listed Buildings register, so I'll start with those. The first is the building on the left of these two photos, called Greystones. Once Allhallow's School (a public school for boys) the building is thought to have replaced an original 17th century one that burnt down in 1764
and is Grade II listed.

At three storeys high, the front contains three mullioned windows on each floor with label moulds above each. I hadn't heard of the term Label for moulds before so I looked it up and apparently it's just another name for hood mould, which I do use, along with drip mould or dripstone.

The parapet has a pleasing symmetry consisting of two gables and semi circular mould in the centre above a round blind window. Floor bands are situated between the ground floor and first storey, and another below the roof.


I seem to have taken two of these, only very slightly different, which is just as well as the building on the right is the second listed building and I only have these two photos of both buildings.

This one is Allhallow's Chapel, the former school chapel, and now Allhallow's Museum. Grade II listed, it was rebuilt circa 1740-50 in a 15th century style. The above photo shows a Tudor arched door with drip mould and rose window on the west elevation. That wall is of knapped flints, whereas the others are of flint rubble.

Because of the difficulty in having the school and chapel on opposite sides of the road, the school was moved to a large former manor at Rousdon. Right up until the new one closed for good in 1998 - due to falling pupil intake and long term financial problems - the old boys were still called Honitonians.

The third listed building is the parish Church of St Paul. Another Grade II listing, it was completed in 1838 and designed by the architect Charles Fowler in a lovely Romanesque style with apse. The photos I have were all taken from the street behind the church. The one above shows the church tower and those below are of the apse consisting of tall round headed windows. Clerestorey windows can just about be seen above along the top of the rectangular main building.


The photos below are of the same street. Just the street view on the first one, then one with some of the church along with other buildings on that side of the street. I really liked the perspective and atmosphere of these; the first with part of an ivy clad wall and the second showing higgledy piggledy rooflines. The building on the left must be a pub, due to the beer kegs outside awaiting collection. 

 

Now onto the rest, of which I know absolutely nothing about. The first few of these was to play around with some close-ups of the buildings along this street.


This first one was partially seen in the photo beyond the ivy clad wall. The ones below are various other rear buildings along that street.






And some random street scenes. I do recall where this street is but not the name. However, it was adjacent to the street above.


And another street, below, which I don't know where it is at all. It looked suspiciously like one I know in Sidmouth but I've checked my Honiton negatives and it's definitely in Honiton.


I'm not entirely sure but I think the ones below were taken in the High Street.

The first two are of a quite a large building containing two separate houses with a thatched roof on the left one.



The doors have Georgian canopies and the right part of the building is now slate roofed, although probably would have been thatched
originally, with Georgian style sash windows. The leaded style panes on the left dwelling look new as well as the windows themselves.

The next along (seen to the left of the two photos above and one below) is this delightful terraced housing, consisting of around five dwellings. Lovely gabled windows in the roof and sash windows on the ground floor and first storey, with the most unusual tiling below the windowsills.


And the last of the buildings is another terrace with fabulous spiky turrets above each bay and rather attractive diamond tiled motifs above the doors. I wish I'd have taken some more photos of them, especially of the ground floors too - my usual lament, lol!


I don't know if there were two terraces, one each side of the road, or if I just turned around and took a photo of the rest on that one side. I suspect the latter but I honestly can't remember! If so, then there were either six or eight of each dwelling. 

And finally, a photo of the skyline again, this time with the two pines. One of them was felled some time ago and I don't know if the other is still there but they really were lovely.

I'm still struggling with the few former website articles to rewrite and a couple with old photos similar to this one - none of which I'm very happy with and might not finish. However, there are still the new street ones to complete, which is good.

On a happier note, I was talking to an old friend yesterday who also has disabilities, and he told me that bus drivers will let down the step if asked, so I don't have to worry about getting stuck anywhere. Honiton's a bit far out with only two buses a day but I could have a go at some nearer places, which would be brilliant as I'm so fed up with not being able to get out to explore and take photos. Onwards and upwards...maybe, lol!

I'm not sure what's up next as your guess is as good as mine, but I'll try not to leave it too long. Oh, and a happy Autumn Equinox for yesterday everyone. Have a great Autumn. Cheers. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment