Thursday 18 July 2024

Odds & Ends: Part Three

 


For anyone new to the Odds & Ends series, these are odd times when I only took one or two photos in passing because I liked the look of something and in most cases have little to no information about to make a full article. 

This building is called Sheffield House, according to the name on the side of the building - seen on the photo above - and it really grabbed my attention on a walk along Church Street. The frontage around one corner in Market Square belongs to a shop.


I only have these four photos but it isn't on the Listed Buildings list and I can't discover anything about it, apart from the fact that they are separate flats. It needs some more photos but being unable to travel at the moment this is a good opportunity to showcase what I think is rather interesting architecture.


The upper floor consists of oriel sash windows and a casement window at the end with a rounded brick header. The round headed window above the door is an absolute delight with its square panes in different hues of blues, purples and greens.

And a photo of the main door, below. Although, having looked at a more recent Street View I see that all the paintwork is now sparkling white, which looks really good against the coloured buff and red brickwork.

This next one is a row of terraced cottages a short distance from the Beer Quarry Caves - an underground limestone quarry near to Beer Village.

Called Quarry Cottages, they were originally inhabited by families whose men worked the quarry. I should imagine though, that these weren't for the general workers, as they would most likely be resident in the village itself, but possibly for the masons and/or overseers of the quarry. I honestly don't know so please don't quote me on that.


A set of six dwellings, constructed of flint rubble, they are owned by Clinton Estates who own a fair amount of buildings in the village. Having come across an advert of one of these cottages to let, their photo shows two plaques on the wall; one containing the letters M R and the other has the date 1883.


Two rather bad photos, below, are of Ye Olde Tolle House in Newton Poppleford. Unbeknownst to me my camera was leaking light and there were coloured streaks across the photos. After extensive editing I managed to get them halfway decent but didn't really intend to do anything with them unless I went back for more. So, here they are for now!

Now this one I do have information for as it's a Grade II Listed Building and is dated to 1758. An original cob structure on stone rubble footings with a thatched roof, it is the oldest surviving toll house in Devon. The two windows on the right are original, with round heads and shutters. The one on the left has been added since the listing, as that part of the building was a storage outshot and the window has replaced a plank door. That part is weatherboarded.

Now we're off to Exeter. There are four here not far from each other. First off is this rather lovely balcony walkway between two blocks of flats. There appears to be a balcony belonging to one of the flats opposite also in the same colour and similar style. I took the photo whilst walking past but I wish I'd have gone into the site to have a look and take more photos.


And this next one is of an Italian restaurant in a former malthouse for the local brewery
and is situated on the city wall not far above the catacombs and the valley where the iron bridge crosses.


The building possibly dates from the 16th century and it was in the late 19th century that it was used as a malthouse. The kiln was used to dry out the germinated barley in order to produce the malt.  


And below that is another mill a short walk away situated against the wall at the top of the valley. Lime was made down in the valley and this may have been connected to that. I did have some information about it, which I've either lost or didn't write down as I can't find anything now. I'll add it later if I discover it.

And further along in the valley is this set of what looks to either be lime kilns or even a defunct and blocked-in bridge, although it is very near to what was a lime factory. Either way, all of these need looking into further for a possible future article, especially if I can get to Exeter again. But they'll do here for now in case I can't, lol.


To finish off, I'm using some photos which were taken by my sister - copyright Sheila J Hunt - which I've been given permission to use. She took these of the Western Pier whilst visiting the resort of Western-super-Mare in Somerset. This was sometime in or after 2008, when a devastating fire destroyed the pavilion and work was under way to dismantle the wreckage.


To anyone not conversant with British resort piers, they are pleasure piers for walking, fishing and entertainment. Usually there's a pavillion at the end where shows, plays and concerts are performed and other undercover parts include games & gambling machines along with shops and food/drink outlets.

Opened in 1904 and Grade II Listed since 1983, it was destroyed by fire once before, in 1930. After the fire in 2008, the pavillion was dismantled and reconstructed then officially opened by Princess Anne in July 2011.


And there we have it for now. There are more to come for a part four, which I'll start after two or three other articles. I haven't set up my new scanner yet but I'll try and get that done so that I can add photos to the former schools article, plus some for another post. I still can't lift much but I'm gradually getting better.

Next up is Clifton Place in Sidmouth. It's been a bit of a pig to organise and write up, once I'd sorted out which building was which due to some conflicting accounts of names. It's getting there though so hopefully will be up shortly.

Cheers for now. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment