Tuesday 8 August 2023

The Phoenix Arts Centre, Exeter, Devon

 


The Phoenix is situated just behind the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Bradninch Place. The museum also housed the Schools of Art and Science until they were moved to this new building, built specifically in 1911 and originally called the Royal Albert Memorial College. Later the name was changed to the University College of the South West. After receiving the charter to become the University of Exeter in 1955 the various departments were gradually moved to a new university site, at which time this housed the Law Faculty until 1967, and when that also moved it became the Arts Centre.

When I was taking photos of the museum in 2012 I decided I might as well take some of the Phoenix too. Not a Listed Building, it's nevertheless quite imposing with some nice features to it, not least the lovely sweeping staircase leading up to the front entrance.

The Edwardian style of architecture was quite a mixture, including the wonderful revival of Arts and Crafts houses, but also a revival of classical buildings such as this one in the Neo-Georgian style. The red brick together with the pale dentilated quoins around the windows and string course running across the tops of the windows is rather a nice contrast. I couldn't find any reference to materials but the stonework is almost certainly limestone, possibly from local quarries such as Beer or Portland.


The metal sculpture above the door is of a large phoenix which flaps its wings on the hour, although it wasn't working when I visited. 

And a close-up of the fanlight above the door with its lovely Georgian style design.


Other structural additions can be seen at the side of the building, such as this archway at the start of a fenced walk. I thought it may have been a temporary structure but looking at images on line it looks as though it's still there.


It's from this side entrance that a close-up of the door reveals more clearly the broken pediment with a central ball finial, something which the metal phoenix hides on the front entrance.


I have very fond memories of the Arts Centre. In 1991 I spent a year employment training to bring my graphic design skills up to date and during that time I also took a module of the City & Guilds Photography course. The latter took place at the Exeter Darkroom in the Arts Centre one day a week and when that finished I retained my membership for a few years in order to process and print photos. It was also great to have a coffee and chat with the other members.

When the Arts Centre became the Phoenix the Exeter Darkroom moved to another location. I haven't been inside the Phoenix since it was refurbished inside but I might have a peek in when I'm next in Exeter.


I'm pretty sure this plaque on an adjacent wall belongs to the building, as it's in the same style, but I don't recall what's actually on it and can't make it out properly just from the photo.


And there we have it! The funny thing is that I'd almost decided not to include it in the blog as I wasn't too keen but, like many large buildings, it isn't until looking closely at the various features and details that I became more fascinated.

Anyway, I'm glad I did, as it's also part of an area full of interest. Cathedral Yard should be up soon too. Although I thought I needed more photos I actually discovered some more which I hadn't scanned, so I can put off the long bus journey for a while! Also, I took a bus to Lyme Regis last week, where I finished taking photos of Marine Parade buildings, so that's another one I'll be working on too...along with a lot of other stuff! ;)

Cheers. :)  



   


No comments:

Post a Comment