Thursday 29 June 2023

Three Gables, Cathedral Yard, Exeter, Devon

 

 

Cathedral yard is the street that runs along the north side of the cathedral, and this part of it is opposite the road, tucked into a corner known as Little Stile. This lovely Tudor terraced building is dated 1540 and was originally occupied by craftsmen who worked for the cathedral. Comprising three timber framed properties (3 to 5 consecutively) it's a Grade II Listed Building.

There's a bit of conflicting history - as there is with almost all of the buildings in and around Cathedral Close and Cathedral Yard. However, I'm mostly using information from the Listed Buildings register with a little bit added from other sources.

The photo above is from No 3, of which there's hardly any info at all, although the oriel windows above have been altered. The photos below are of No 4.

The fab oriel windows above No 4 are reproduction 17th Century. Remodelled by the Victorian stained glass artist Frederick Drake, who aquired the property in 1894, he also had the impressive Ham Stone window installed, seen below.

No 5 has an early to mid 19th Century shop front and the oriels above now contain Georgian sash windows. 

This is just a very short article for now. I'm currently working on a long one of Cathedral Close, which is choc-a-bloc with Mediaeval Grade I Listed buildings, but I wanted to post something fairly quickly as I've left it so long since I last published anything. I'm also writing about Cathedral Yard, including a potted version of this one, but I need to visit to take more photos of all the buildings first. I think Three gables really deserves a post of its own though, and I'll be adding more photos as soon as I have them. :) 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment