Friday 22 October 2021

Law Chambers, Colyton, Devon




This was seen during a town tour that I attended in 2010. I haven't been able to discover the reason why it was called the Law Chambers since then, but the building is part of a Grade II listed range of former houses situated in Market Place. Built in the 16th century and remodelled during the early 19th century, some of those buildings were converted to shops with their Victorian shopfronts. Inside, however, there are still several Tudor remains. 

The door with Law Chambers on the transom window was situated between a shop and what was then a separate residence, the passage containing early 17th century panelling. The whole building was originally built and occupied by a wealthy merchant and his family; possibly a wool merchant. Since my visit, however, the two have been renovated and restored to its original one house. Now inhabited by the Colyton Heritage Centre & Tearooms, I see on their website that the name on the door has been changed to The Merchant's House. I still haven't been able to ascertain why the name Law Chambers was used beforehand, though, as there is no mention of it anywhere.


Inside the front room of the residence is a lovely moulded plaster ceiling, circa 1600, in a geometrical pattern with fleur-de-lis. Above the fireplace is a mantle frieze painting, also circa 1600, containing four female figures representing Experience, Good Reputation, Bad Reputation and Truth.


We were kindly invited by the owners of the house to take a look inside with permission to take photos. Never one to miss an opportunity I took these hurriedly, and unfortunately the last one wasn't as sharp as it could've been.


There's a lot more history & architectural info about the shop next door. I'd intended to visit again to take more photos but unfortunately never got around to it. I've been dithering whether to visit the new Heritage Centre before it closes for the winter next week - which I will do at some point anyway, even if it isn't until next year - but I really don't want to add anything new to this article that wasn't there when I visited in 2010. Something that I find a bit irritating is when articles are updated online in such a way that how places used to be has been obliterated. One of my late website & blog aims has always been to show how things were by looking at what remains today...which is why I decided just to keep this simple and with the specific title as I had it on my website; hence The Law Chambers. And here endeth the lesson, lol! ;)

Anyway, when I do manage to visit I'll add a new article about the Heritage Centre plus more of the architectural history as a continuation of this post. 

Cheers, Eileen :)




No comments:

Post a Comment