Tuesday 8 June 2021

Blue Waters Holiday Camp, Seaton, Devon: demolition photos


This is one of the articles from my now defunct website. I didn't think to post this up when I added the main article to the blog. That one encompasses explores of the derelict Blue Waters site before it was demolished, along with the history of both that and Warners Camp next door, which you can see here. This one's a bit late but better late than never, eh!

Demolition began during June 2008 and I photographed the process, returning every other day to capture it. The photos above show the remaining chalets with a large industrial skip nearby. Below is how it looked once it had been cleared.





The first photo heading the article and those below were taken from the front entrance on Harbour Road. I did ask if I could go on site to record the process, but was ordered off and even threatened by the Site Manager not to take photos, even though I was standing on a public path outside the gate. I continued taking photos as I wasn't trespassing - there is no law against trespassing anyway as it's a civil offence in England not a legal one - and photographers have the Right of Panorama whilst in public places.

 

Some of the photos were taken through the gate, until...  

...one of the lorries entered leaving the gates open, and I noticed that the workmen were on a break, so...   


...I took the opportunity to go onto the site and take some close-ups, quickly returning to my position outside of the gate before being discovered. Who dares wins, lol. ;)




And back to my watching post over the next couple of days or so.



At this point I had a bit of a rant on the original website article, but I'm going to leave that for now as I will probably rant away on a later post documenting the Seaton Regeneration scheme. However, I will say that closing and demolishing the still viable and fully booked Lyme Bay Holiday Village (originally Warners) next door was a huge loss of tourism for Seaton.



It was particularly sad to see the swimming pool go as finding that on my explore of the derelict site was a really exciting moment for me. You can see that on the first article about Blue Waters via the link at the top of the page for those photos and the history of both sites. 


Not a lot else to say, really. However, I don't want to end on such a sad note of desolation, so here's a close-up photo of that lovely twirly wrought iron gate instead. I had thought of saying something silly, sarcastic and/or sentimental about metal hearts, etc, but managed to restrain myself in time! ;)





 


No comments:

Post a Comment