Thursday 9 April 2020

Seaton Heights Hotel, Seaton, Devon - Part One



Seaton Heights was a motel (later called a hotel) and leisure site, left abandoned and unused since 2004. My first explore of the site was in April 2007 (during the same Easter weekend of my second visit to Racal Electronics, seen in the previous four posts). Then a further visit in December 2008


On this first visit I'd heard there was a caretaker living on site, so I was a bit wary as I walked up the long drive, nipping around quickly and taking what photos I could before hastily making my exit.


The office and reception on the right as I walked up to the buildings, above, with the entrance to the accommodation on the left, below.


According to the sign, there were 26 rooms, spread over the two floors. I didn't know, and I never thought to check, whether No 13 was missing, as sometimes happens with hotels. However, it would have made the rooms odd, unless one was used as a storage room for cleaning and laundry. 


Looking from the rear of the archway connecting the accommodation with the office, showing this lovely Art Deco staircase window. 


And a foray into the accommodation block.




An open window space, above, with an area which may have held a bench at one time.


And the lovely staircase just inside the entrance. I didn't venture upstairs on this first visit in case I ran into someone. I was more courageous on the second explore though!


I discovered a nissen hut on this first explore, which was a delightful surprise. What I didn't realise is that there's a second one and another possible WW2 building, which I found on my second visit. Seen below, the one I saw on this visit is situated next to a lovely winding path to the pool.








There's a sports hall on site too, where I once played badmington with a couple of friends and we had a drink afterwards in the bar, but I didn't see the hall or recognise anywhere on this visit. Mind, it was dark on the badmington night and I just followed the others, lol.




A peek into part of the leisure centre, which might have contained changing rooms perhaps?


And a look back up the path.


Some other photos from amongst the buildings.





  
Plus a few odd extras to finish off.






Like Racal, I decided to split the two visits into two separate articles so that I can add a lot more photos and more information without the posts getting too unwieldy. So, Part Two coming up next. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment