Thursday 23 January 2020

Belated Happy New Year & Updates




A very happy, albeit very late, new year to everyone, and I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. :) This is just a short post with some updates of what happened last year, where I'm at now, and what's coming up.


Last year was a really difficult year. Starting with a flooded kitchen with water pouring through the ceiling from a burst pipe between the floors of my flat and the flat above, it then went on from there in a similar vein. Had the ceiling redecorated after the pipe was mended and an asbestos check before that. Lots of dental, doctor, nurse and hospital appointments throughout the year, including a three day stay in hospital having blood transfusions for severe anaemia, plus several months of work done on the apartment blocks - new doors and an intercom system installed, decorating, new flooring, new lights, including Colditz-style floodlights outside, and which also included having to empty our own walk-in storerooms in the corridors (which took me three days to do). Also, five different surveys on my flat; another asbestos survey, a check on the water pipes and taps for Legionaires disease, a check on all the radiators and bathroom boiler, and a check to see how the floodlights impact on my windows and why it's like having car headlights in my bedroom all night, lol.


There wasn't a week without at least one appointment - sometimes two or three - with a lot of travelling to two different hospitals, and by the end of November I was getting the symptoms of being severely stressed out. I thought I had a week coming up with nothing earmarked but then three more appointments came in, so I said 'enough is enough' and cancelled them all. That next week I did nothing but work on my blog (the Beer Battery and  South Wales Urbex weekend posts) then had December to rest up, do lots of walks for errands, catch up on a lot of odd jobs and prepare for Christmas. It was bliss! :)


Anyway, because of the year I had, I didn't take any photos apart from a few of my balcony garden and some indoor stuff - some of which I only used my little Fujifilm digital camera for. I haven't even finished the film in my proper camera! Something I did do though, was to rescan some of my photos (notably the Beer Battery, three WW2 airfields, the Stoke-on-Trent explores and a few others) plus scan some old ones I hadn't done before - and it's some of those that I've posted here, from 2010. We haven't had any snow yet this year, just a couple of frosty mornings so far, lots of rain, fog and damp interspersed with some lovely sunny days.


This year I had a new boiler installed and I'm still catching up with lots of jobs, but apart from that I've really enjoyed this winter so far. But I really need to get out and take some photos. Lots of ideas on that.


So far on the blog, I'm well over halfway through rewriting and posting my website articles, with 152 posts published and another 13 in draft. That includes just one new page not on the website, and I'll be adding some more of those this year...and a good way through most of the website pages, if not all. I also want to get the contents page up and running and I've got some ideas for new recurrent posts, including folklore and book recommendations connected with my blog/website topics. Weather Lore is something that's been on the back burner for a while, so I'm aiming to get the first seasonal section up & running soon. And I've got a growing list of places and things to visit and photograph.


One brilliant thing that came out of last year is that, instead of having the severe arthritis I thought I had, it was the severe anaemia causing the excrutiating difficulty in walking, so I'm now walking better than I have done for years. I still have arthritis but it's less severe and more intermittent, which is great. And another health problem is gradually getting better so I should be out and about with my camera again soon. Onwards and upwards, lol.




No comments:

Post a Comment