Tuesday 6 August 2019

Umbrella Cottage, Lyme Regis, Dorset



I came across this some years ago whilst walking down into Lyme from the bus stop just outside of the town. It's a private residence, and I was completely entranced by its 'hobbit-like' look. Some of the features, such as the door and front windows, look rather old and I thought it may have been a toll house at one time, which made some sense as the nearby Cobb Road was once a toll road. However, although some sources say that it is a toll house, there are other sources that cite it to be a deliberately built Cottage Orne - a romantic vision of picturesque rustic which was fashionable during the Regency era. Further research revealed its origins as a gardener's cottage, but alterations by the architect Arnold Mitchell turned it into this delightful and quixotic cottage.


Now a Grade II listed building, it was probably built in the early 19th century. A one storey building, it comprises a roughly octagonal front portion with the roof carried down to wooden posts, producing its umbrella look, a central oblong wing with another 'umbrella' portion at the rear. Roughcast clad, it sports a thatched roof throughout and the front portion contains wood casements and a carved door with a diamond shaped panel above.

As always when I do a little speculating, please don't quote me on this because it is merely my own thoughts which I haven't been able to corroborate yet. However, I reckon that the alterations by Arnold Mitchell were the octagonal front and rear sections, and that the central part was the original - and much smaller - gardener's cottage (which would have been older than the 19th century dating).

 


I thought that the gate (below) belonged to the cottage, echoing the 'hobbit' look, but later realised my mistake. It does in fact belong to the house called 'Little Cliff', once called 'Higher Cobb'. I'm going to add the photos in though, as I really like them. Again, please don't quote me on this, but the gardener's cottage may well have been part of the Higher Cobb estate for their gardener. Just a thought.
 


And another view of the gate, with Umbrella Cottage next door.


Altogether a delightful happenchance on my way to somewhere else, which I hope you've enjoyed too. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment