Wednesday 10 October 2018

Evangelical Chapel, Musbury, Devon


 


"There is a dissenting place of worship in the village, erected in 1859, but not, I believe, in connection with any special denomination." The Book of the Axe by George P R Pulman.

Having seen this tiny chapel whilst on bus journeys over many years, I'd often wondered whether it was still in use or not. It started to look a little forlorn, as if abandoned, so after taking photos of pillboxes in the nearby village of Whitford in February 2010 I decided to take the extra walk up the lane to investigate. However, it isn't derelict but still very much in use. Whilst taking exterior photos I noticed vans parked behind the building and shortly afterwards some people came out of the chapel. After a chat about the place I was kindly invited to take photos of the inside.
 


 Outside, a small path leads up to the front entrance. 
 

The man who founded the chapel was a local boy, called Walter Wills. A visitor to my website kindly sent me two long and very detailed articles of Walter's life and how the chapel came to be built - which, although very interesting, are too long for inclusion here. To summarise very briefly, it took many years of preaching before his parents were also converted, upon when his father decided to help Walter build the chapel.




There are a few gravestones in the small courtyard. The one in the photo below belongs to a Richard Wills.


An interesting bit of information that I found out about Richard Wills was in this extract taken from White's Devonshire Directory (1850).

"John Gregson, John Woolcot, and Samuel Parr, Esqrs., Mr. Richd. Wills, Mr. F. Gillett, and several other freeholders, have estates in the parish."

From the date, Richard may have been Walter's father.



As would be expected, the interior is beautifully simple, decorated in peaceful hues of pale blue and green.



The picture of Walter Wills as a man and preacher is situated behind the altar, which I was shown. I thought I'd taken a photo of it but I don't seem to have it, so perhaps not.


 

And finally, looking back along the short path towards the gate situated between two tall yew trees. A lovely little chapel on the side of the lane, which I was really pleased to get to see and take photos of at last. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment