Thursday 28 December 2017

A News & Update Chat



 
Chanter's House, Ottery St Mary, Devon


Just a bit of news about both my blog and website, where I'm at and what's happening.

First the bad news: It is with very deep regret that I will no longer be continuing with my main website Past Remains (not to be confused with this blog). After the web host changed customers over to a new website builder in October 2016 I have been unable to add photos to my existing pages and my domain name no longer works properly on much of the site.


Lime Kilns, Sidmouth, Devon
St Nicholas' Church, Combe Raleigh, Devon

After extensive editing to my pages for several months to undo some of the changes that the changeover caused, and a much-needed break since this May, I recently created a new page and found that new pages will no longer link to the contents page. It can be done, but not without a lot of time-consuming difficulty for each new page, and as the builder is such a pig to use I've reluctantly come to the decision not to continue. I could add more info and edit existing pages but it would be redundant, because...


1930s Butcher's Shop, Seaton, Devon

...of the good news: In January I started this blog, mainly as a back-up for my website pages, but also for anything else that I find interesting. I was going to build another website from scratch but after a lot of consideration I realised that many uncertainties will still apply, and I honestly can't face starting all over again with almost 9 yrs of work to re-do. I finally realised that the solution was staring me in the face, and it's right here on the blog.


Conduit & Stream, Beer, Devon






There are a lot of advantages to using the blog as my main site; I already have over 60 articles on here from the website and hopefully will be able to add a contents page and other stuff to make it into a 'blog that thinks it's a website'. It's easy to use, which makes it really enjoyable, plus it's given me the opportunity to update some of the history, add more information and a lot more photos to the articles.



Former Gasworks Building, Seaton, Devon

Meanwhile the website will remain as it is with all the information intact for the forseeable future, or at least until everything's been transferred here - until such time I might archive it - but all new and unfinished pages will now be on the blog.



Cemetery & Chapel, Beer, Devon

And speaking of which, these photos are a taster of some of the pages that aren't on my website - which I'll be adding here in the future, along with more from my website.


Norman Lockyer Observatory, Sidmouth, Devon

And lastly, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas, and I wish you all best wishes for a fab new year,
Eileen :)




No comments:

Post a Comment