Monday 26 June 2017

Emergency Forest Phone, Couchill Woods, Seaton, Devon



I found this several years ago, on the edge of Couchill Woods, and haven't been able to ascertain what it actually is. I think it's some sort of utilities box as there is evidence of wiring. The woods are managed by the Forestry Commission, and because it needs a specific key to open it may have been for the use of forestry workers only. Electrical point maybe? However, on doing some research and having forum discussions with like-minded souls, we thought it may be an old emergency phone in case of accidents.



I recently did some more research but still couldn't find any concrete evidence of what it was, or any pictures which show anything the same or similar. I sent an email to the Forestry Commission asking if anyone knows, along with a photo. After kindly asking around, they were unfortunately just as stumped as me.



Of course, with the widespread use of mobile phones there wouldn't be much need for a standing phone, which would make sense as to why it was abandoned. So, until I'm told otherwise, I'll just keep calling it an Emergency Forest Phone.

Whatever it is, or was, I think it's really fab. Lovely woods, green peely paint and rusty goodness. What more could a girl want?





No comments:

Post a Comment