Friday 3 February 2017

Village Hall, Axmouth, Devon



This Grade II listed building was once the village school and now serves as the village hall. It was built circa 1840, although the later addition of a gabled porch bears a shield above the door with the date 1894. Like many buildings in this area the walls are of stone rubble, with stone quoins and stone coping to the gable ends.



The first two photos were taken on a previous visit to St Michael's church, next door. The others were taken on a visit to a village history exhibition held in the hall, in spring 2011.



The porch, below, which was added some 50 years after the original build, which answers why the later date was added. The gable end has a three light window with intersecting tracery.


 
The gable end facing the road contains a Y-tracery window, below.


 
Across the courtyard is this funky little building. I don't know what it's used for now, but I suspect that it was once a toilet block for the pupils when the hall was a school. It reminds me of my infant school, when using the loo meant a nice walk out in the sun...or a run across the playground during cold and rainy weather.



Below, a view of St Michael's where the south and west sides of the hall abut the churchyard.



And a view of the south gable end taken from the churchyard.



As well as the playground, the interior also reminded me of my old infant school due to the long room running throughout the length of the building and a partitioning screen part-way along. I also took some interior photos, but they were too blurred to use apart from the one below. 

And, to round off my visit to the exhibition, I sat and enjoyed coffee with a huge slice of chocolate cake...visible by its absence on the plate. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment